Drip Irrigation Sprinkler System Cost
Drip irrigation is another form of above-ground sprinkler system, and also one of the most popular forms of irrigation. The system delivers a designated amount of water directly into the soil to plants in a small area. The main benefit of drip irrigation system is that less water gets lost to evaporation.
However, since the lines are exposed to mowers and trimers, this makes pruning and trimming the area more labor-intensive. Regardless, the main draw for this system is water conservation and the lower cost. Drip irrigation systems cost an average of $1,800 to $2,150 per acre.
What Are The Advantages Of Installing A Sprinkler System
The following are the main benefits of installing a sprinkler system:
- It saves time. Whether you install an in-ground, automatic or drip installation, you will no longer have to drag hoses around the yard for irrigation.
- More accurate targeting. You will better target the plants that need water and reduce waste.
- A tidier yard. Without hoses and sprinklers lying around, your yard will look nicer.
- Greater flexibility. Automating your watering means you dont have to worry about being home to ensure your lawn gets watered.
What You Need To Consider Before Purchasing Lawn Irrigation System
Now, the question is about the priority of your irrigation. How badly you need to water your lawn. Do you need the regular sprinkler? How important it is to take care of your lawn. Apart from that, you have to consider why do you need the irrigation system? Are you planning the irrigation for your lawn or grass or flower beds or trees? Each type of plant has a different need.
The irrigation system also works for reducing your workload. You will not need to wake up late at night or rely on others for watering your lawn when you are not staying out. You can go for an outing with your family. It will be a worthy investment.
The next question is how much you can afford? How much you are willing to spend for watering your lawn. Your budget should be dependant on your priority and need. You can arrange lawn irrigation costs range from $500 to $5000. This is just the estimated price for the installation. Even after installing the irrigation system, you may need to spend money on it in the future.
However, the lawn irrigation system cost also varies from place to place. If the lawn irrigation system is not available in your area, then the price will be a bit high. On the other hand, you dont have to spend much if the irrigation system is available in your area.
Land type and spacing:
Recommended Reading: Weekly Lawn Service Cost
Type Of Irrigation System
There are many different types of irrigation systems, and the one you choose will impact the overall cost of this project. A drip irrigation system is the least expensive option since it does not need to be buried underneath your lawn. Instead, it sits on top of your lawn and slowly releases water to ensure the ground has enough time to absorb it.
This irrigation system is also the most energy efficient, so choosing this option may help you lower your water bill as well.
Looking For Sprinkler Companies Near You
Once youve decided to go ahead with your choice of sprinkler system, you then need to determine if you will install it yourself or get a professional in.
Its possible to do it yourself, but this will take lots of time and work, with often complicated procedures required. It may also involve dealing with electrical systems and water, which is never a great mix, especially when youre not a professional.
A basic irrigation system may be simple to install if you get some mates round to help you out. However, DIY could also lead to mistakes that may cost more to correct in the long run.
With this in mind, most people will get a professional in, especially if you are looking at a state-of-the-art irrigation system. This will, of course, add labor costs to the price of installing a sprinkler system.
Now you need to figure out how to find a sprinkler system company near you who can do the job the way you want it done.
There are many irrigation system companies out there that will offer up their services, but you should get one thats reputable and, ideally, recommended. You also need to check out whether the sprinkler system cost is cheaper from them or an independent supplier.
Have a look online to find sprinkler system companies near you, and then look at their reviews and customer feedback. If you know someone thats used them before, speak to them to understand how they worked and the service that they offered.
You May Like: How To Cut Your Grass With Lines
Cost Of Sprinkler System For 1/4 Acre
The average price for installing an in-ground sprinkler system on a Â¼ acre property is $2,180 to $3,270. Most homes in traditional suburban neighbourhoods have lots around Â¼ acre, which are generally easier to work on for sprinkler installations. Sprinklers on these suburban lots have fewer zones and may not require as many advanced features as an expansive multi-acre property, but it depends on how high-tech you want the sprinkler to be.
You May Like: Does Lowes Rent Riding Lawn Mowers
Lawn Irrigation Systems Cost Guide
Homewyse Cost Guides estimate approximate cost ranges for basic work in typical conditions. The estimates should only be used for preliminary planning. Homewyse estimates are NOT substitutes for quotes from qualified vendors. Homewyse strongly recommends that you contact reputable professionals for an accurate assessment of work required and costs for your project – before making any decisions or commitments.
- Labor tasks – Layout and size water lines. Space fixtures. Fabricate and install components. Secure code inspection.
- Lawn Irrigation System cost estimates may require an onsite inspection. Usually these estimates will be “free”. You should expect any estimate to be presented with an in-depth sales pitch/presentation.
- The homewyse cost estimates include all typical costs for layout for uniform watering, simple 6 – 8 inch trenching for all underground pvc lines, installation of fittings, risers, sprinklers, control valve and timer.
- Higher priced Lawn Irrigation Systems typically offer more durable material, extended warranties and enhanced appearance and finish options
- The homewyse Lawn Irrigation System cost estimates do not include costs for excavation, demolition and removal of existing paving or hardscape.
- Lawn Irrigation System installation costs vary considerably by location. For an accurate estimate in your area, enter your zip code in the calculator above.
You May Like: Broadleaf Herbicide With Tricolpyr Or Dicamba
Do You Need A Permit To Install A Sprinkler System
Many cities and counties require homeowners to obtain an irrigation permit prior to installing a sprinkler system. This allows the city or county to keep tabs on the project and ensure that it meets certain safety regulations and is in compliance with local codes.
You will need to pay a fee in order to obtain an irrigation permit. This fee will vary depending on your location, but most building permits cost several hundred dollars.
You May Like: How To Clean Mold Off Lawn Chairs
D Commercial Vs Residential Sprinkler System Prices
The cost of a commercial irrigation system is generally higher than a residential one thanks to the larger pipes, more powerful equipment and extra-durable materials used. The true price of each project varies greatly depending on the size of the job and number of zones. Talk to a pro for an accurate estimate to install commercial irrigation.
You May Like: Who Makes Weedeater Lawn Mowers
How Much To Maintain A Sprinkler System
Maintaining a sprinkler system costs $50 to $150 per year to winterize, which prevents freeze damage and cracked pipes. Spring start-up service costs $75 to $160 per year, depending on the number of zones. Additional sprinkler maintenance may include:
- Sprinkler system repairs cost$120 to $350 on average.
- Sprinkler head replacement costs$65 to $90 for professional replacement or $2 to $12 per head for DIY.
- An annual backflow test costs $50 to $100 and is required in most states.
Automatic Sprinkler System Cost
Automatic sprinkler systems cost $2,000 to $4,900 with installation for a 1/4 acre yard. Automatic systems feature a programmable controller that ensures each zone is watered for a precise length of time and at the ideal time of day:
- Standard controllers or timers cost $30 to $100.
- Smart or wifi-enabled controllers cost $60 to $300 and tap into local weather data and rain sensors to avoid watering on rainy days.
Don’t Miss: How To Fix Dead Patches Of Grass
The Importance Of Design In Sprinkler System Cost
The price of your sprinkler system should include expert design. But not every irrigation company offers this.
This is huge. You have to install a sprinkler system right the first time. If its wrong, its really expensive to fix. Sometimes it even means starting over.
Be careful of sprinkler system companies that skimp on the number of irrigation heads or the number of zones to reduce the amount of materials and labor, so they can offer a lower price.
They might install two heads where there really should be three. They might install four zones when five would do a better job.
Once the job is done, all the spacing is set. In order to fix it, you may need to dig up and reposition 50 to 100 irrigation heads and install more zones. Thats a massive, expensive task.
Dont underestimate the importance of skilled, expert design.
At RainMaster, our team includes trained and certified irrigation designers.
Thats not required in our industry. Actually, anybody can claim they know how to do it, put their name on a truck, and sell you an irrigation system. But do they really understand hydraulics and electrical systems? In reality, advanced knowledge of these two areas really come into play with designing and installing a great irrigation system.
In fact, so many people claim to be irrigation services, it gives a false impression that its an easy job that any guy in a truck who charges $2,000 can do.
Why Is Irrigation Important
An essential part of lawn maintenance is irrigation. There are several reasons why your plants, grass, flowers, need irrigation, a few of them include:
- All plants need water to grow, without water, your lawn plants will wither and die. Irrigation ensures that your lawn gets a steady supply of water at the appropriate proportion.
- All plants require water for photosynthesis to take place. Photosynthesis is the method through which plants generate their food for adequate growth, development, and in the cases of fruit plants, eventually generation of fruits and vegetables for consumption. Photosynthesis happens when there is water, and irrigation provides that need.
- Irrigation is essential to maintain a balance in soil nutrients. In providing your lawn with water, you do not want to oversupply the grasses and plants with more water than is needed.
Overwatering your yard can result in the soil becoming too dense and compacted, which may lead to loss of soil nutrients. With an irrigation system, automated or controlled distribution of water is provided, and you need not fear for too much water supply. A carefully monitored and regulated amount of water is supplied to your yard.
This way, you get to stop the weeds from thriving. Likewise, by restricting the amount of water that is showered onto the top of the lawn, you can curtail the probability of any leaf diseases.
Read Also: Lawn Mowing Lawn Care Pricing Chart
Why Going Cheap Initially Can Ultimately Cost You More
Its tempting to cut costs now, but it will cost you more down the road.
- Poor spacing of nozzles and heads can be expensive to re-do.
- Inefficient heads cost you more in your water bill every time you water.
- If installers use wire and nuts that arent waterproof, they often corrode, causing expensive electrical problems down the road. We use waterproof fittings to avoid electrical problems.
- Why are your lawn and all your expensive new landscaping plants dying? Maybe your systems spacing is all wrong, or you dont have enough zones. Water isnt reaching everywhere it should be.
Home Irrigation System Cost Per Square Foot
Home sprinkler systems cost $0.50 to $2.00 per square foot or $2,000 to $4,000 for an average 10,000 square foot lawn. Prices per square foot decrease as the yard size increases. Yards with multiple zones or complex installations are priced at the higher end of the range.
*Price includes materials and professional installation.
- In-ground sprinkler systems are the most common and feature sprinkler heads connected to underground pipes.
- Drip irrigation distributes water directly to plants through tubing on the surface.
- Above-ground irrigation uses sprinklers connected to hoses on the surface and is typically a DIY project.
Don’t Miss: Top Dress Lawn With Peat Moss
Professional Vs Diy Lawn Irrigation System Cost
When you are choosing between a professional or DIY lawn irrigation system, of course you should expect to pay more when hiring a professional.
But in my view, depending upon the type of system youre installing, how much free time you have, and how much you like digging trenches in your lawn, it might make sense to pay a premium to have it done for you.
At the very least, having a sense of the type of system you need, and how much you should expect to pay will allow you to get a great deal when you work with a professional lawn irrigation installer.
When talking about setup, its best to run back two familiar thoughts to consider before investing: your need and the cost of the irrigation system.
Do you need a professional installer? Irrigation systems covering a large amount of land might need the help of someone with more expertise likewise, you might only need a few additional hands and getting some friends to come help you might just cost you a pizza and a few beers if youre installing a simple rotor sprinkler system.
Doing things, yourself is always the less costly method up front.
But what happens when you make a structural mistake, lose or break material, or make a wrong estimation? Those mistakes will cost you more time and money, so its important to think about whether you have the skills and mentality to take on a project like this.
For a small lawn, most people can handle it with no problem.
Professional Sprinkler System Installation Cost Breakdown
The national average cost of a sprinkler system installation of just under $2,600 means the average cost of labor is anywhere from $2,100 to $2,300, a steep price to pay for an average of two days of work. The pros of hiring a professional include:
- No trips to the hardware store
- No hours spent in the sun digging trenches
- Quick turnaround
- Peace of mind that the job is done by a licensed professional
- Opportunity to negotiate free maintenance visits
If you decide to let a professional handle your sprinkler system installation, knowing the true cost of the job will allow you to have the negotiating ammunition to make sure the project is done at a fair price. Always remember that you dont have to hire the first person or company you speak with. Call around and do your homework on the available labor in your area to find the best mix of price and reliability for you job.
Read Also: Which Lawn Weed Killer Is The Best
Read Also: Get Rid Of Flying Ants Outside
The Features To Be Present
Most of the sprinklers come with automatic features that can detect movement or activity on your landscape. For example, if the kids are playing in your garden or property during the hot weather, then timers are set such that water is sprayed on them safely.
Likewise, when some animals are loitering around on your property, it starts to spray on them, eventually getting rid of them. They come with specific timers that can be used likewise.
So, you may want to have a look at the features before buying a sprinkler system for your property.
How Much Water Should An Irrigation System Use
With the increase in global warming, what do you do on a hot afternoon when youve been out under the sun, and youre sweaty and uncomfortable? Standing under the shower with the temperature at cold or having a chilled glass is, of course, the answer youll most likely give.
Well, how about the plants in your lawn? I mean they live under the sun, theres no covering to shield them from the harsh sun. Dont you think they need water? What if youre occupied with other vital needs? How do you ensure your plants get the much-needed water?
Also Check: What Lawn Fertilizer To Use In June
Other Costs To Prepare For
Sprinkler systems require some maintenance, and this can get expensive pretty fast. A new timer might cost about $100 150 for a single zone, valves are around $25 per zone, and valve boxes typically run between $20-30 each. These costs dont stop there though because youll also need rotor heads and spray heads costing anywhere from $5-$10 apiece. And to top it all up, professional winterizing services will charge approximately $75 -$150 yearly, usually during the fall season.
Lawn Sprinkler System Cost
In areas with less-than-average rainfall, it is necessary to water lawns and landscaping manually in order for them not to become dry. While manual watering can be time-consuming, a sprinkler system saves homeowners money both through its efficient delivery of the water as well as conserving up to 25% more by distributing the same volume over a larger area. Sprinkler systems are cheaper than most homeowners think and DIY installation is also an option, that provides savings upwards of 30%-40%.
Also Check: Lawn Mower Jobs