Alternative: Andersons Professional Surge Weed And Feed
Andersons Surge weed and feed is a herbicide that helps you control weeds on your lawn and fertilize the grass at the same time.
Andersons claims that with their smaller size particle weed and feed you get greater cover per square inch, which will give you a better result.
The nitrogen-based formula is slow releasing so provides your grass with nutrients over a longer time.
How to use it: Spread this weed and feed on the damp lawn and wait for 24 hours after application to water the lawn again.
Surge weed and feed should be applied only on established grass, but you can also apply it on newly seed cool season turf .
If you want to apply the weed and feed on warm season turf, it is best to wait until 3 or 4 weeks after the sodding, sprigging or plugging is done, and then only use small amounts.
- Kills more than 250 species of broadleaf weed
- Needs application every 6 weeks
Customers were very happy with this weed and feed product. They really liked that it killed the majority of garden weeds, such as dandelion, clover and plantain.
Users have noticed that it is slightly more expensive than other weed and feed products but it does an excellent job.
Our Last Take On Granular Weed Killers
This list offers a diverse product range because your yard has different needs. You may need a vegetation killer to keep weeds out of your gravel driveway. You might also find a yearly herbicide important for keeping dandelions and crabgrass out of your yard. Using an outdoor pesticide is also important for minimizing ant problems and issues with centipedes and spiders. Therefore, you may want to purchase a few of these products for your shed or garage.
Are granular weed killers effective? One of the readers of Grass-Killer.com asked me this question. I firmly say yes because liquid herbicides are good but their granular analogs provide a more selective effect.
Many farmers and gardeners have proved the effectiveness of granular weed killers, especially for large territories. Efficacy of granular or powder herbicides depends on:
- Compliance with the dosages recommended by the manufacturer
- The suitable air temperature and the irrigated soil
- The moisture soil layer
- Growth activity of weeds the higher they are, the better they are affected by a chemical herbicide
- Phases of weed development young plants die faster
Preen Garden Granular Weed Killer
Lets talk about flower beds. Usually for flowers, you have to spend lots of time taking care of them. It would be very frustrating to see your hard-work flower beds got ruined by weeds. When it comes to flowers, I think Preen Garden Weed Preventer is the handiest!
This is a pre-emergent weed killer that is designed to control weeds by sabotaging the seeds germination. It is safe to use around flowers, shrubs and trees while eliminating the harmful weeds that threaten your landscapes.
The brand guarantees that this weed preventer is safe to use on edibles so you can be at ease when applying for your veggies yard. Apply the product anytime in spring, summer or fall for the preventers effect on accordingly weeds. Once it is applied, water thoroughly to activate its effect for the 3 months of protection.
However, it is not recommended to be used on lawns as it might be harmful for grass. And, as it is a pre-emergent product, it will not kill weeds that are already established or existed.
Curious how people use this product and their result? Check out the video now!
Also Check: Does Lawn Fertilizer Go Bad
Disadvantages Of Using Vinegar To Kill Weeds
- Yes, it looks like a great weed killer for lawns, but it is not practical in lawns that are vastly invaded with weeds.
- It might not be very effective for controlling perennial weeds since they appear as though theyre dying only to re-appear from the roots.
- At such high concentrations above 11%, vinegar is extremely dangerous and can cause serious skin burns, blindness, and irritation.
- Household vinegar, usually at much lower concentrations, cannot kill weeds effectively.
- Vinegar is not suitable for controlling weeds in large areas. You cannot also use it as a commercial weed killer.
Overall, I would recommend using vinegar as a natural, organic or pet-safe weed killer for your lawn. However, be careful not to cause corrosion on your driveways, patios, and other areas where you apply this herbicide.
What Is Granular Weed Killer
Weed killer, just like its name suggested, is a chemical product that assists in killing, preventing or controlling weeds in your garden. Depends on the formula and type of the product, it can tackle different kinds of weeds and other harmful factors to protect your plants.
Granular weed killer is one form of weed killer that got preferred more and more recently since it is easy to use, easy to store and safer for health.
You May Like: Flying Ants In Yard
Guidelines For Using Postemergence Herbicides
When choosing an herbicide, make sure that it will control the weed and that it is recommended for your turf. Before using, read the entire label and follow it precisely for rate and timing. The following tips will help you achieve optimum control.
- Most broadleaf weeds are best treated in the spring or fall when air temperatures are between 65 and 85 degrees F. During hotter temperatures, turf damage is more likely to occur.
- At the time of treatment, soil moisture should be adequate. When stressed by drought, weed control is poor and turf damage may occur.
- Do not mow immediately prior to or after application. Mowing lessens the amount of surface area that the herbicide contacts.
- With spray applications, treat weeds when no rain is expected for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid treating on windy days because herbicide spray drift can injure ornamental plants.
- Best results occur when weeds are young.
- For acceptable control, repeat applications, 10 to 14 days apart, may be required.
Premium Choice Weed Killer
We love the Eco-Organic Garden 1L Slasher Weed killer Concentrate because its organic, its effective, and its proudly Australian, which makes it worth the extra cost.
Its a non-selective weed killer that controls weeds, lichen, moss, and algae, and it can also be used to spot-spray your lawn . Theres no lasting residue, and its safe for children, pets, and the environment.
Don’t Miss: Best Riding Lawn Mower Under $1500
Broadleaf Spray Vs Granules
Broadleaf Weed Killers can come either in a fluid structure, as a shower, or in a granule structure. On the off chance that it arrives in a fluid concentrate structure, you should weaken it and shower it. The sprayer will permit you to focus on the specific region you need the herbicide to continue, yet you might have to blend it in with water, and you will require a sprayer. Granular herbicides expect you to have a spreader, which is a straightforward and modest apparatus, to apply it. You might have to water the weeds later application.
Which one is best? Both are exceptionally viable. Notwithstanding, certain individuals might favor one over the other. A shower can be simpler to apply to assume you experience difficulty twisting down, for instance. On the other side, it very well may be more straightforward to get a portion of the synthetics on different plants when utilizing a sprayer.
How Does Weed And Feed For Your Lawn Work
Weed and feed products work in either of two ways. Some prevent the weeds protein product by blocking photosynthesis, others damage the root of the weed so that it dies off.
At the same time, the fertilizer encourages healthy grass blade growth that leads to better lawn density. The denser and thicker your lawn is, the fewer weeds can germinate and grow as the grass crowds out the competing weeds.
When it comes to applying weed and feed the timing is everything. If you apply the product at the wrong time of year you may get inconsistent or poor results, or you could even damage your lawn.
You May Like: Cost Of Trugreen Services
So What Are The Pros & Cons Of Granular Weed Control
- Liquid Weed Control typically needs to be mixed with water. This means measuring the concentrate and mixing it with the appropriate amount of water.
- Granular Weed Control just needs to be put in the spreader and its ready to use.
- Winner: Granular Weed Control
- After the mixing is done with the liquid weed control, the application process has a similar level of difficulty. With both materials, you need to be attentive and use the right amount in the right areas.
- Winner: TIE
Both Granular and Liquid Weed Control can be very effective however, remember that the material must stick to the leaf of the weed in order for it to be absorbed into the plant and translocate down to the plants root system. These materials are foliar weed controls. This means they have to be absorbed into the plant through the foliage of the weed.
- The downside to granular weed control is getting it to stick to the weed. These materials work best when applied to wet weeds. Without the surface moisture, the granules mostly roll off the leaf reducing potential control. Rain doesnt always fall when we would like it to and irrigating the lawn isnt exactly quick and easy.
- Liquid weed control can be applied when the weeds are wet or dry which makes it a much more versatile option.
- Winner: Liquid Weed Control
Note: Neither product should be applied while it is raining
Aside Politicians The Real Debate Is Whether You Should Use Liquid Or Granular Weed Killers
When you go to the hardware store or garden center to pick up your bag of weed and feed, youve probably noticed that there are many liquid weed killers sitting on the shelf. You probably even have a bottle or two sitting on a shelf in your garage.
In my garden center days, I was often asked which one is better for killing weeds, liquid or granular weed killers.
The absolute most effective is going to be the liquid weed killers. When you spray weeds, the liquid can coat even the smallest of leaf surfaces. This ensures the most effective way to control those pesky weeds growing in your lawn or flower beds. When following the label and done correctly, youll see an 80% or better control of weeds in your lawn.
Now on the other hand, granular weed killers such as the ones found in a bag of weed and feed, often have a significantly less rate of effectiveness. The first thing to know is that the grass must be wet or damp for the granule to stick to it. So this means you must apply in the morning when there is dew, after it rains or after you water thelawn. The second thing to remember is the weed killer granule must actually stick to the leaf of the weed that you are trying to kill. Some weed leaves are smaller than your pinky fingernail. You can only imagine the difficulty of success of a granule the size of a cracker crumb trying to stick to these leaves.
Well there you have it. Everything you need to know to end the debate!
You May Like: Best Time To Overseed Lawn In Iowa
Ortho Groundclear Vegetation Killer Concentrate
This is a non-selective herbicide and is highly effective at killing weeds of all kinds. An all-rounder product takes care of both pre-emergent and post-emergent weeds equally well. Once you apply the chemical, very soon, you will notice the shrinking and wilting of leaves. Moreover, the liquid also reaches the root system, and this ensures that the complete weed plant dies, and there is no way it can again sprout.
Once killed, the weeds will not grow in the treated area for up to 12 months or maybe even more. If there is continuous heavy rainfall, then it is recommended that you apply the herbicide once in 6 months. A 2-gallon pack is enough for an area of approximately 600 square feet. The two active ingredients in this product are glyphosate and imazapyr.
- Long-lasting and effective for a long time
- Kills the weeds and prevents new ones from growing
- Great for hard surfaces like walkways, pathways, and patios
- Due to its nature, you will get limited coverage
Ortho GroundClear is an effective weed killer and will clear the ground for you to plant what you want to. It works as both a weed killer and a weed preventer.
Best Natural: Green Gobbler Organic 20% Vinegar Weed & Grass Killer
Volume: 1 gallon | Plant Type: Crabgrass, Dandelions, and Other Listed Weeds
Can be used in various places
No dilution needed
No smaller sizes available
Many weed killers contain harsh chemicals, but if youre looking for a natural option for lawn maintenance, the Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed and Grass Killer is glyphosate-free and made without any synthetic ingredients. It’s derived from corn, and it can take care of unwanted crabgrass, dandelions, clover weeds, white clover, mold, and more.
This natural weed killer comes in one-gallon jars, and you can use it on driveways, sidewalks, concrete, mulch, and flower beds. You can use the weed killer straight out of the bottle the natural acid starts drying out weeds on contact. Youll see visible results in less than 24 hours, and the company offers a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee if youre not happy with the product’s performance.
The Spruce / Katie Begley
“Once I used the weed treatment, I did not see the weeds return to my mulch beds even weeks after application. The same was true growing in the cracks on my driveway. I did pull the weeds after the Green Gobbler Vinegar Weed Killer killed the plants themselves. This was an important step to make sure that they didnt come back.”Katie Begley, Product Tester
Volume: 1 gallon | Plant Type: All Weeds, Grasses, Vines, Brush, and Trees
Can be used in various places
Prevents weeds from growing back
Not ideal for places with vegetation
Recommended Reading: What Causes Dead Patches Of Grass
Types Of Granular Weed Killer
There are two main types of granular weed killer on the market right now and each has different effects on your yard. Keep your eyes on this information when you are on your hunt!
- Pre-emergent weed killer: This is best for your garden when the weeds have started to germinate. As its name, pre-emergent weed killer will stop weed seeds from sprouting and developing. Therefore, it is best to apply this product in early spring or early fall for maximum effect.
- Post-emergent weed killer: This weed killer, on the other hand, will take its effect the most when your garden is in a more dangerous state as it eradicates weeds in their growth form and starts harming your yard. However, it usually offers little residual control and mostly cannot go deep enough to eliminate the weeds root systems.
Along with that, weed killers can also be separated into smaller categories depends on their effect:
Alternative: Scotts Winterguard Fall Weed And Feed
Scotts is one of the best premium brands that sell a number of different garden products. This weed and feed formula is designed to kill stubborn weeds, like dandelion, clover and crabgrass.
How to use it: Water the grass and apply the granules with a broadcast spreader. For the best results, apply the product in fall. This will help prepare the grass for the next growing season.
- Makes grass thicker and greener
- A good crabgrass preventer that also eliminates stubborn weeds
- Improves lawns water absorption rate
- Make sure that dosage is right or it can burn the lawn
Users of Scotts weed and feed for fall noticed their grass being a lot greener over the winter months.
Recommended Reading: Does Lime Get Rid Of Moles
Best Overall: Greenview Fairway Formula Fertilizer + Crabgrass Preventer
With this slow-releasing Greenview Fairway weed and feed, you can cut down on time and money feeding and weeding your lawn.
Greenview advises that this improved 65% nitrogen formula feeds the grass for up to 3 months and it kills 200 species of feeds.
How to use it: Use a broadcast or drop spreader to apply this granular weed and feed on a wet lawn in early spring. You will have to wait 3 days before mowing the lawn.
As this weed and feed formula is slow-releasing, you should only use it on healthy and established lawns, as it might stunt growth on new grass.
- Requires application every 3 months
- Noticeable results after 1 month
- Should be used on established and healthy lawns only
- Be careful not to spread near trees or other shrubs
Some users noticed greener and thicker lawns, while others felt there was little change as it didnt kill crabgrass. Some users also advised of the negative impact on nearby trees and shrubs.
Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide
BEST OVERALL FOR: Buffalograss, Centipedegrass, Fine& Tall Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass
- Most effective grass weed killer
- Can be used as a pre-emergent and post-emergent
- Tenacity wont kill grass .
- Retards weeds, letting your lawn grow thick and choke out weeds.
- Controls crabgrass as well as broad-leaf weeds in the lawn.
- Strong formulation controlling 46 broadleaf weed and grass species
- Has a long-lasting weed control power
- Can be applied at seeding
Tenacity is one of the best systemic herbicides on the market today. Its formulation contains 40% mesotrione, which is in the grade of commercial weed killers and is capable of controlling broadleaf and grassy weeds in the lawn before and after emerging.
Tenacity Turf Herbicide will kill grassy weeds and wont kill lawn grass.
List of weeds Tenacity kills
Barnyardgrass, goosegrass, carpetweed, dandelion, chickweed, clover, crabgrass , foxtail, henbit, purslane, thistle, yellow nutsedge, wild carrot, nimble grass, bentgrass, and many more.
According to the manufacturer, Tenacity weed killer spray also controls grassy weeds at seeding, giving your lawn a competitive advantage over the weeds. As your grass establishes into a thick cover, it prevents any new weeds from sprouting and growing in your lawn.
Read Also: How Do I Get Rid Of Ants In My Lawn