Inferior Tactics To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes
There are some mosquito control tactics that are simply not effective enough to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard. For instance, citronella candles, mosquito coils, and mosquito lamps and lanterns are popular DIY solutions to mosquito control, but have only proven to be minimally effective.
Mosquito traps, which run on propane and batteries, work better but take a while to make a difference on your property. Its said this solution can take up to four weeks before you see any noticeable results. Mosquito misting systems are another inferior approach to mosquito control. These devices target mosquitoes when theyre already in the immediate area as opposed to targeting landing sites.
How To Keep Mosquitoes Away
One of the keys to controlling mosquitoes is knowing how and where they breed. Reducing the number of places where larvae can grow, and killing them as they do, will greatly diminish the number of adult mosquitoes around you.
- Eliminate areas of standing water: The best way to reduce the number of mosquitoes in your yard is to eliminate areas where they can lay eggs. Even the smallest amount of standing or stagnant water can serve as a breeding ground.
- Regularly clean and change the water in birdbaths.
- Use larvicides to treat containers of non-drinking water.
- Get rid of cans, bottles and any other open containers that are outside.
- Remove tree stumps where rainwater can collect.
- Clean your gutters to eliminate clogs and prevent water buildup.
- Drain toddler-sized wading pools when youre not using them.
- Avoid overwatering your lawn.
Monitor nearby ponds and landscape water features: For areas where its impossible to eliminate all water, such as goldfish ponds, take steps to hinder mosquito breeding.
Drop These Tablets Into Ponds Birdbaths & Other Standing Water
Drop one of these mosquito dunks into your pond or birdbath to destroy mosquito larvae and stop the breeding cycle. Each tablet is made with Bti bacteria, and it begins working within hours of being dropped in the water. Every tablet can treat 100 square feet of surface water and will last for at least 30 days. The dunks have amassed more than 6,000 five-star ratings, and they’re nontoxic for fish, pets, and humans.
One helpful review: I have a pond in my yard and threw one of the dunks in the pond. The next day I had family over in the backyard and everyone raved about NOT getting bit by any mosquitoes. I was in heaven. Its been a few weeks since then and still no mosquitoes.
Read Also: How To Kill Moles In Your Lawn
Control Methods To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes
Non-chemical methods can significantly reduce populations, mainly by the elimination of breeding sites, which can be anywhere water is held such as swimming pools, swamps, dams, rock pools and anything which can hold water for some time. Guttering around a roof that holds old water is a major breeding ground for mosquitoes. Door and window screens affect the entry of mosquitoes into houses, but do not reduce the numbers.
Elimination of Mosquito breeding sites
One of the most effective ways to reduce mosquito numbers is by elimination of breeding sites. This can be anywhere water is held such as unmaintained swimming pools, swamps, dams, rock pools, car tyres and anything which can hold water for some time. Blocked guttering around a roof that holds old water is a major breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Mosquito traps are an effective non-chemical method of reducing the breeding population of mosquitoes in an area. Mosquitoes even in the dark, can easily assess where a person is by sensing carbon dioxide and temperature that he/she emits. Also, they react extremely sensitively to near ultraviolet rays. Using these behaviours of mosquitoes, Mosquito Traps can attract and capture mosquitoes. These devices attract mosquitoes, suck them in with a fan and deposit them in a holding cage to dehydrate.
Outdoor Bug Zappers
Application of Liquid Insecticide
Topical Insect Repellents
Make Your Plot Less Mosquito
Standing water attracts these pests, as they need water to breed. And although getting rid of your pond just for the sake of deterring these bugs may be a step too far, there could be other ways to reduce the amount of water in your plot.
For instance, it might be worth looking at better garden drainage solutions to reduce the number of puddles on your patio or damp patches on your lawn. Lowes also suggests keeping gutters and downspouts clear and well-maintained, and changing the water in birdbaths regularly at least once a week.
And with your garden pond, consider adding anti-larval tablets containing Bacillus thuringiensis, the team adds. A type of bacteria, it kills mosquito larvae but is safe for birds and other wildlife.
As for swimming pools, installing a netted pool enclosure that keeps the bugs out could give you a much happier and stress-free swimming experience.
Avoid getting bitten by mosquitoes by trying our tips
Also Check: What Is The Best Time Of Year To Reseed Lawn
Drape This Netting Over Your Sun Umbrella
One of the easiest ways to keep mosquitoes and their bites away is to drape netting around your sitting area. Made from tightly woven polyester, this mesh net can be draped over a sun umbrella with a diameter of 7.5 to 11 feet, creating a barrier that lets you lounge outdoors in peace. The net provides 9 feet of coverage from top to bottom and has a double-zipper closure. On windy days, you can fill the hollow base tubes with either water or air to weigh them down and keep them in place. The netting provides enough room for up to six people.
One helpful review: I installed this a few months ago, and I live in Mississippi where the mosquitoes are PLENTIFUL. I installed it, went inside and watched the mosquitoes DESPERATELY try and get it, but they couldn’t. It was like living in another world.
Use An Effective Mosquito Repellent
An important strategy to keep mosquitoes away from your body is to spray a good mosquito repellent onto exposed skin and on your clothes .
To test mosquito repellents, Consumer Reports applies a dose of a particular brand to a subjects arm, then exposes it to cages of disease-free mosquitoes for 5 minutes at a time. The process is repeated a half-hour later, followed by every hour, until the product wears off or until 8 hours have passed since the first dose was applied. What follows are the best mosquito repellents from CRs tests.
Dont Miss: How Much Does It Cost To Have My Lawn Mowed
You May Like: Do It Yourself Lawn Mower Repair
Burn These Incense Sticks With Citronella & Other Oils Mosquitoes Hate
Made with citronella, cedarwood, lemongrass, and peppermint oils, these incense sticks can be placed directly into the ground to protect ankles and lower legs from bites. After blowing out the flame, each stick will provide up to 45 minutes of protection, so youll get almost 40 hours of repellent time in one affordable 50-pack.
One helpful review: I used 4 of these sticks as I weeded my garden for over an hour. As I moved from one end of the garden to the other, I moved my sticks with me. I had no mosquito bites whatsoever!
How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes Indoors & In Your Yard
- To address Mosquito infestations, you need to eliminate standing water and moisture around your property then apply a broadcast treatment of Supreme IT and Tekko Pro to kill mosquito adults and stop their larvae and eggs from developing.
- To get rid of mosquito larvae from standing water, apply a larvicide like BTI Mosquito Dunk which targets developing mosquitoes.
- You can optionally address the outdoor mosquito population by investing in an Automatic Mosquito Misting System.
Dont Miss: How Do I Kill Weeds In My Lawn
Don’t Miss: How Do You Know If Your Lawn Has Grubs
Grow Mosquito Repellent Plants
If you have already read our recommendations for 21 mosquito repellent plants, you already know that there are certain plants you can grow that will keep mosquitoes away without the harsh use of chemicals. Lavender, marigold, and lemongrass are a few of the more popular and beautiful options, but there are so many more that will also really spruce up your yard while also keeping the area free of flying pests. Many of these plants are both visually appealing and effective at keeping mosquitoes away. There are also certain herbs you can grow that are great for keeping your kitchen stocked while also repelling mosquitoes, like basil, thyme, and rosemary. Take a look at the article listed above for mosquito repellent plants and also this list for even more plants you can grow to keep mosquitoes away.
Seal Your Garbage Cans
Lastly, you can prevent mosquito infestations by adequately sealing your garbage cans. When you seal up the lids of your garbage cans, you prevent mosquitoes from laying their eggs inside. It also prevents rainwater from getting into the trash can, which would otherwise create more breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
You May Like: Don’s Lawn Care Midwest City
Prevent Future Mosquito Problems
Eliminate standing water.
Many female mosquitoes lay their eggs in standing water. Since it only takes about a week for a mosquito to go from egg to adult, getting rid of the standing water on your property can help reduce the number of mosquitoes that will plague your next backyard barbeque.
- Empty water that has collected in childrens toys, garden pots, buckets, trash can lids, wheelbarrows, or other items lying around that could collect water.
- Inspect gutters for clogs and clean them regularly to prevent water collection.
- If you have a birdbath, change the water regularly.
- Walk your property and address any low spots in the lawn that collect water or areas that have poor drainage.
Clean up debris.
A kiddie pool isnt the only thing that can provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Some types of mosquitoes lay their eggs in damp soil or debris, such as decaying logs and leaf piles, so be sure to clear them away. Remember to remove leaves and other debris from gutters, too. If you continue to have a problem with mosquitoes and have a lot of shade in your yard, you may want to consider having your trees trimmed to increase light levels and make your landscape less habitable to these pests.
Plant mosquito-repelling plants.
What Is The Quickest Way To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes
Trying a combination of the above methods should reduce mosquito numbers fairly significantly. If they are prolific in your area, Ashton recommends The Halo Mini Protector which ‘effectively repels mosquitoes by creating a 20m2 zone of protection for you and your pets against mosquitoes, midges and other small flying insects. The heat-activated mats are saturated with a synthetic chemical called allethrin, which mimics the natural pesticide secreted by chrysanthemums. Theres no need to use smelly, harmful sprays or oily lotions. With no noise or scent, this compact, stylish device looks great on any patio. The device is designed to be easy to use, simply insert the heat-activated mat, a butane cartridge, and turn on!’
And if the mosquitoes are still making it through your defenses, think about getting a trap for the inside of your home. Some are heavy-duty affairs that arent the loveliest items plus theyre noisy, but we like the Adokey Indoor Mosquito Lamp because its pretty quiet, and doesnt use chemicals to do away with the home invaders.
You May Like: When To Add Lime To Lawn
Sugar Mix Mosquito Traps
If you are a fan of DIY projects, consider making your own sugar mix mosquito trap. Youll need 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of boiling water, 1 tablespoon of dry yeast, and 1 plastic soda bottle. Cut the bottle in half and combine the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, then pour the cooled mixture into the bottle. Sprinkle yeast over the top and then invert the cut-off top of the bottle and secure it to the trap. The trap will attract mosquitoes who will become stuck inside and die. This diagram explains how to create the sugar mix trap in greater detail.
Mosquitoes Can Be Good
First some interesting mosquito facts:
- There are over 3,500 species of mosquitoes and only a few hundred of those species bite.
- Mosquitoes are a great food source for lots of other creatures .
- Male mosquitoes cant bite only the females can.
- Both male and female mosquitoes are actually pollinators.
Don’t Miss: Is There An Organic Weed Killer For Lawns
Opt For Yellow Led Lights
Mosquitoes are more attracted to specific colors of lights. If you can use LED lights, especially more towards the yellow color in your outdoor areas, chances are your mosquito population will start to disappear.
- LED outdoor lights come in a variety of colors you may have to experiment to see which color keeps the mosquitoes away
- Yellow light is different than a bug zapper and wont necessarily repel or kill the insects instead, it just makes the area less attractive
Keep Your Yard Trimmed
During warm weather, mosquitoes like to cool off in tall grass or brush. If you go long periods of time without mowing your lawn or you allow weeds to pop up in thick patches, you are creating the perfect hiding places for mosquitoes to rest when they are seeking out somewhere safe to cool off. You can fix this by remember to mow your lawn regularly, using a weed wacker to keep unwanted plants at bay, and trimming any bushes or trees that may be growing unruly. Keeping your yard neatly trimmed will also allow the sun to dry up any wet spots or puddles that may arise.
You May Like: When Should I Apply Grub Killer To My Lawn
Professional Mosquito Treatments: How To Exterminate Mosquitoes
Each professional pest control company responds to mosquitoes differently, so it is important to ask how they approach mosquito control before you partner with any professional company. By knowing your goals and the possibilities, you can be sure that the company you choose will have the right options for your needs.
Exterminators will begin service with an inspection. The technician determines where mosquitoes are coming from and where they may be hiding. They will also survey where mosquitoes breed and collect around your property as these are the areas they need to treat. The inspection will guide price and provide an expectation of the effectiveness of different treatment options.
Professional mosquito treatments use insecticides to eliminate mosquitoes. With integrated pest management, they focus on low impact and non toxic applications that, when applied in the right areas, remove and repel mosquitoes.
Treatments can be used in place of habitat management or in addition to it, especially when local environmental factors, such as a water feature or nearby nature preserve that makes removing nearby gathering places impossible. In some cases, only one treatment is needed and mosquitoes will not come back. In other situations, you may need frequent treatments at regular intervals.
Mosquito Treatments to Get Rid of Mosquitos Instantly
The treatments a company uses are based around what will work best for your property. Options include:
Mosquito Mist Devices
Personal Natural Mosquito Repellants
There are also natural remedies you can apply to your skin or clothes that can help to keep mosquitoes away no matter where you are. These can be used in conjunction with repellants in your yard, or for protection when you visit unprotected areas. Suggested solutions include:
- Lemon Balm A member of the mint family but with a lemony scent, lemon balm can be crushed and rubbed on your skin where it will repel mosquitoes. Lemon balm is also available as a cream.
- Mouthwash Listerine mouthwash contains eucalyptus oil. While you can create a spray with eucalyptus oil as well, dabbing mouthwash on your skin is a fast way to repel mosquitoes if you already have it on hand.
- Outdoor Soap Products like Skin Armour Deep Woods Outdoor Soap are considered a chemical free way to mask the scent of sweat that can attract mosquitoes. They integrate many of the oils that are believed to repel the pests.
- Coverings Mosquitoes do not typically bite through clothes, so wearing long pants and long sleeves diminishes the available skin they can bite.
People will also use the lavender, mint, or tea tree essential oil sprays for the yard as a personal repellent. Make sure that the essential oil is diluted in water before spraying on clothing. It is important to remember natural ingredients can irritate the skin for certain people, so test any repellant on a small area before applying it over your body. There is also no research on their efficacy.
Don’t Miss: How Can I Get Rid Of Clover In My Lawn
Natural Mosquito Repellent And Control
Some natural repellents and remedies can help with controlling mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes avoid such varieties of plants as catnip, feverfew, citrosa, tulsi , rosemary and lemon thyme. Plant a few varieties in high-traffic areas around your home, such as along walkways, in window boxes or in pots on porches and decks. The plant oils and fragrances will act as a natural barrier against mosquitoes.
- Some naturally derived oils, such as peppermint, camphor and citronella, can be mixed with water and used as a spray to help repel mosquitoes. Oils such as eucalyptus and lavender can be lightly applied directly to the skin to prevent mosquitoes from landing to bite.
- Natural predators such as dragonflies feed on mosquitoes at all life stages. Dragonfly nymphs eat mosquito larvae, while adult dragonflies prey on adult mosquitoes. A water feature or pond no more than 2 feet deep, that gets five to six hours of sun per day, and hosts some plants to help oxygenate the water, is an ideal condition to support dragonfly habitation.