Hot Tip: Why It Is Not The Best Idea To Buy In Winter
Some of the best sales take place at the end of the year. So, why is it not such a good idea to buy a riding lawnmower in winter?
If you buy a riding lawnmower or lawn tractor in winter, chances are you wont set it up till spring. You wont know if there are any missing or damaged parts until it is too late. Your return and exchange period will expire, and you will have to claim the warranty to get the machine fixed.
You can take full advantage of winter sales if you plan on inspecting the package upon arrival. Just know that at this point, the selection of lawnmowers will be very limited.
The Best Electric Riding Lawn Mower
- Lawn size: Up to 2 acres
- Terrain type: Flat with obstacles
- Warranty: 3-year limited warranty
Pros: Eco-friendly, low maintenance, quiet
Cons: About two hours of mowing time per charge, batteries are expensive to replace when the time comes
Unlike its gasoline counterparts, the electric Ryobi RY 48110 is a hassle-free option void of belts, spark plugs, oil changes, filters, or anything of the like to worry about. Plus, since it lacks a bulky engine, it allows it to have a more compact, go-kart-style body design that can fit in tighter areas.
The Ryobi RY 48110 is also focused on providing a comfortable riding experience, with a quiet fume-free operation, as well as a cruise control function and a USB charger for your phone. When it comes time to recharge the mower’s batteries, it’s not like charging an electric car battery, and you don’t need a fancy electricity upgrade: Just plug it into a regular old 120-volt outlet. It takes about 12 hours to fully charge.
On the subject of batteries, the downside is that over time they will not hold a charge as well it’s just a fact of life with batteries. Eventually, you’ll need to replace them . The replacement batteries will run you about $150 apiece, which isn’t cheap, but then neither is gasoline or oil.
Terrain And Yard Size
As experts noted, the size of your lawn will determine whether you should invest in a riding lawn mower its usually not worth it for homeowners with less than half an acre. However, the type of terrain can also affect how the mower is used. A lawn tractor will work well on any relatively flat lawn and on landscapes with a lot of uneven sectors, especially if it features a steering wheel that provides more control. If you have a relatively flat yard with obstacles like rocks and gravel, meanwhile, a ZTR will probably show better results as it can turn 360 degrees on a small spot and pivot at sharp angles, said McKenzie.
Recommended Reading: Donate Old Lawn Mower
John Deere E1: Best Riding Lawn Mower Overall
Reasons to avoid
This machine makes quick and easy work of cutting any size yard, and it easily navigates terrain other mowers may struggle to traverse. It features a front-mounted V-twin engine that produces up to 26 horsepower and can reach speeds up to 5.5 miles per hour. The fuel gauge sits in plain view as you mow so you know exactly how much gas you have left.The John Deere E180 has an impressively wide cutting path of 54 inches. You can adjust the blades to 11 different height positions, anywhere between 1 inch and 4 inches, and it has a turning radius of 18 inches. These features make it easy to customize the cut to your lawn so it looks just the way you want.
The machines hydrostatic transmission is pedal-operated, so you dont have to take your hands off the steering wheel while you drive. This John Deere mower also has a cruise control that lets you set the speed you want to mow at. Both of these features limit distractions, so you can focus on your lawn and not the lawn mower.
A great value rider lawn mower
Reasons to buy
Reasons to avoid
Look For Low Price Guarantees Instead Of Just Lawn Mower Discounts
These guarantees are pretty common among large retailers selling large appliances. Basically, if you find the same mower model within 30 days at a lower price, you can get a rebate on the difference.
Pro Tip: Check with your credit card, such as Citi Card. They often offer price rewind. There are also apps that will get you money back.
This deal may apply to all local stores, or just to the store where you bought the mower. Its a nice way of guaranteeing that you will still benefit from sales in the near future. However, you still have to watch out for them and take action!
Some people also try to negotiate a lower price with the seller, although if you are already capitalizing on a sale, this isnt a very good idea, and we dont recommend trying if youre of the faint of heart.
Don’t Miss: Smallest Riding Mower Available
Best 30 Inch Riding Lawn Mowers Of 2021
You take great pride in your lush, well-maintained lawn, buttaking care of it is often challenging. Pushing the mower week after weekquickly grows tiring. Plus, push mowers leave behind uneven patterns andcrooked lines.
A riding mower is the better option because it cuts grass quickly and evenly. Even better, you get to ride in comfort rather than walk behind a noisy push mower. A 30 riding mower is a tough one to find, but is perfect for efficiency and maneuverability.
Buying a riding lawn mower is a fairly big investment, so you want to make sure you choose the best one for your needs. Heres a closer look at the five best riding mowers for 2019, plus a complete buyers guide:
At a Glance Our Top Picks.
Poulan Pro Pb155g42 6
- Briggs & Stratton engine: Its 15.5 HP powerful Briggs & Stratton engine increases the productivity of this mower with its presence
- 42-Inch Cutting Width: This feature helps the mower giving a fine cut to your lawn in just one pass. The 42- inch cutting width is designed to optimize its productivity.
- 6-speed lever-driven gear transmission: its 6-speed lever-driven gear transmission is there to help in maneuvering best.
- 6 position deck height adjustment: For different heights of grass, the mower has 6 position deck height adjustments to adjust the height according to your need.
- 18-inch turning radius: This feature is specially designed to get a lot of areas done in just one pass. Even with sharpness too
- 11-inch mid back seat: As a riding mower, this 11-inch mid-back seat is very comfy for you to ride on it. Not only for you but for your family too
- 1.5-gallon gas tank: Gallon is spacious enough to hold enough gas in it.
- An easy and fast cut of your lawn with the amazing mower It is easily assembled Quote economical Gives a smooth run along with comfortable too
- Left strips of uncut grass
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Violets In Your Lawn
Q: What Is The Fastest Way To Mow A Lawn
A: Theres no fastest way to mow a lawn, but there are several ways that will cause you to cut the lawn faster than others – although, this depends on the size, style, and design of your lawn. The most common method is to cut in straight-lined rows, which is probably what you would opt to do, anyway.
Cutting your lawn in rows ensures that you get every inch of grass you need missing no patches and reducing the number of times you need to turn . When on a riding mower, you will be at the right vantage point to identify whether youve mowed certain parts of the lawn properly. If this is the case, you can always go back and cut them before moving onto the next row.
However, this doesnt always work for some people due to the shape of their lawn. Another option is to cut in concentric circles. Aside from being more fun , it also reduces the amount of turns you need to take and is in fact simpler than rows as you are always turning in the same direction, just make sure you dont go too fast unless you want to get sick after youre finished.
Again, if there are obstacles that interfere with straight and simple mowing, do them beforehand so you can get on with the longer, more arduous mowing tasks and feel complete once you finish everything.
Which Zero Turn Mower Under 3000 Has The Best Warranty
The better the warranty on your zero turn mower, well the better. Theres no such thing as a warranty thats too long!
The best zero turn mower warranties:
- Husqvarna zero turn mowers: Bumper to Bumper, 3 years. Steel reinforced stamped deck shell only 10-year limited warranty. Fabricated deck shell and steel guard deck shell limited lifetime warranty.
- Cub Cadet zero turn mowers: 3 year / unlimited-hour warranty. Limited lifetime warranty on frame and fabricated deck shell.
- Troy-Bilt zero turn mowers: 3-year limited residential. Limited lifetime frame warranty.
- Snapper zero turn mowers: 3-year limited residential. Lifetime frame warranty.
- Bad Boy zero turn mowers: This warranty is more intricate. Theyll repair or replace for 2 years or 200 hours, unless its used for commercial, industrial, or rental purposes. Belts are covered for 90 days, seats for 1 year . You will need to pay for the transport of the mower to the service place, or for a service call out. I didnt see details on this for the other mowers, so it may be the same for them. I suppose Bad Boy are at least transparent with this I do think though, that if something is wrong with your brand new mower and its a manufacturing fault, they should carry the responsibility for this! There are more rules, like the engine. They dont cover the engine, theyre covered by their respective manufacturers. I recommend you read the entire warranty document before purchase.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Foxtails In Yard
Craftsman M215 159cc 21
- POWERFUL 159CC OHV GAS ENGINE: Powerful gas engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke.
- 3-IN-1 CAPABILITIES: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Tip-up, turn, and maneuver around level terrain with ease.
- SELF PROPELLED AND VARIABLE SPEED: Move around your yard with less effort and the propulsion speed of your choice.
- DUAL-LEVER ADJUSTABLE CUTTING HEIGHT: Choose from 6 different height settings to suit users needs.
Best Riding Mower For Wet Grassjohn Deere Riding Lawn Mowers
Not many riding lawn mowers can boast all of the features that this John Deere zero-turn riding lawn mower can a large 4.5-gallon fuel tank, varied positions control levers, a thick foam padded seat, an hour meter, and storage area for snacks or other items while mowing. In addition, its three blades and 8.5 mph max speeds can reduce mowing time, while the hydrostatic engine creates a more even cut.
One satisfied buyer called this lawn mower truly amazing and wrote that it has a ton of power, adding that it cut my time from 50 minutes to 15 minutes. The 24HP really helps get a fresh cut with how fast the blades spin. Worth every penny.
Acres covered: 24 acres
Cutting deck: 54 inches
Don’t Miss: How To Kill Violets In Lawn
Hot Tip: Follow These Shopping Tips To Make The Best Purchase
The Types Of Riding Lawn Mowers
To start off our guide today, let us first get oriented with the types of riding lawn mowers that are available today. Riding mowers are primarily found to be of two specific varieties: the lawn tractors and the zero turn.
So, lets get into a bit more detail about each of them.
These are the biggest variety of riding mowers. Lawn tractors are simply not just for cutting and trimming your yard grass they are an incredibly powerful range of machines that can tow and plow with ease.
The yard tractors are specifically designed for those homes whose yards are more than half an acre in size. They generally favor front wheel drives and comes with an engine that is between 15 and 25 horsepowers.
And along with an average deck size of 42 inches, these trimmers can go through the toughest of grass in practically no time. For half an acre, the tractors will take just below an hour to complete the job and tread over rough terrain without any problems.
However, it is this very power that makes these tractors so big and hard to maneuver. Control and precision is not a strong point for lawn tractors they are rather difficult to move around trees and garden beds and other such yard obstacles.
They require a considerable amount of storage space as well, and we will not deem this variety of riding mowers to be a wise choice for the smaller yards.
Lawn tractors also come in two different styles: the standard lawn care type and the more upgraded garden beautifying type.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Wild Violets In Your Yard
I Mellcom Gas Lawn Mower
Mellcom lawnmowers are known for their extensive directions and best customer service. Unlike most of your previous lawnmowers that have caused problems, mellcom aspires to satisfy their lawn lovers. This lawnmower has high oil and gasoline capacity. As long as the mower is in use the engine will work efficiently. It gives ten times more than average speed so you can save extra time to appreciate your freshly cut lawns.
The total tank volume of mellcom is 1.3 liters in which you can add 0.4L four-stroke engine oil to the engine oil tank. The rest of the majority space is for gasoline. The oil capacity is limited because it can lead to spraying that can shorten the efficiency of the lawnmower. Although the recommended oil type is 15W-40.
Like the above mentioned lawn mowers, it is also an easy start. You do not have to pull against the start rope with all your might. After filling the tank, you can yank it immediately or wait a few seconds after pressing the oil bubbles for it to run more smoothly.
Use Your Judgment When Mowing
Riding mowers requires you to be alert and attentive when you are out on your lawn. Because of this, it is important to use your best judgment when you are mowing. This includes staying clear of obstacles and not mowing over items like loose balls, toys, or other objects. Be sure your path is clear before you mow.
Read Also: Aarons Mower
Craftsman T225 46 Inch Tractor
The Craftsman T225 is another fantastic classic lawn tractor style riding mower thats great for homeowners with medium to large sized yards, and at a great price point.
It features a Briggs & Stratton 19hp engine with a Ready Start, which makes it super easy to start even in cold weather. Theres nothing worse than a mower that takes 15 minutes to start. The engine packs plenty of power, allowing the T225 to mow over tall grass and climb any type of hill your lawn might have.
The high seat makes this one super comfortable to operate, and the steering wheels and controls are placed ergonomically for ease of operation.
The turf saver wheels not only provide plenty of clearance they are designed to avoid ruts in your turf. Theres nothing worse than mowing a damp lawn and creating ruts that can be a huge pain to fill.
Finally, cleaning this mower couldnt be easier. You just hook up a hose to the mower deck, and it practically cleans itself! Hows that for technology?
All in all, this is a great mower at a reasonable price, and you wont go wrong with it.
- Cutting performance clippings are chopped finely and evenly so that they fall straight to the dirt. Youll barely notice them.
- Bagging feature is easy to use and efficient you can pack a ton of grass or even leaves into one back
- Fast this mower gets to high top speeds and accelerates fast
- Very precise maneuverability
- The seat is very comfortable like sitting in first class on a plane
Toro 50 In 23 Hp Timecutter Gas Dual Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
This zero-turn mower has a large 50-inch cutting width and can be a good selection for yards up to 4 acres, according to the brand. It features Toros Smart Speed Technology, which lets you control your mowing speed in three modes: up to 7 mph while mowing, 5.5 mph in tow mode and 4 mph in trim mode. It’s a powerful warrior that will satisfy the mowing, towing, and trimming needs of most professional users, said McKenzie. This mower also equips a built-in cup holder for drinks, shock-absorbing dampeners that make rides smoother and a step-through front end that makes it easier to get on and off of the mower while you pick up debris or move obstacles out of the way.
Recommended Reading: Toro 20340 Lowe’s
Guide To Buying The Best Riding Lawn Mowers
These various products come with their own specifications and features. Your choice should depend on your needs, preferences, and a number of other important factors. Weve provided you with a better idea of the best riding lawn mowers available so now its time to learn about the factors to keep in mind when making a choice.
You have to be wise while choosing the right lawn mower. Its not just a necessary equipment for maintain the garden, but it has some mental and physical benefits as well.