Lawn Edger Power Source
Once you have established which type you like best, check out the power source. Like all gardening power tools, they come in either gas, corded, or cordless version.
- Gas edgers: Are the most powerful, usually employed by landscapers or professional gardeners. Their biggest strengths are the unlimited runtime and impressive power compared to the electric models. However, the fuel tank might add too much weight to a pole-style edger. They are also noisy and banned in some states due to their emissions. Nevertheless, they are the best option for big lawns, stubborn grass, and professional landscaping.
- Corded electric edgers: Are ideal for small lawns. They are less powerful than gas but are much lighter thanks to the absence of a fuel tank. Your mobility will be limited by the length of the cord, but in broad lines, these tools are perfect for lawns of up to a quarter acre.
- Cordless lawn edgers: Are still electric but come with more or less powerful batteries, depending on the model. The higher-end ones can easily compete against the gas-powered in terms of power, but their biggest drawback is the limited runtime. Getting a second battery could be a solution, but extra batteries are usually expensive. These edgers are typically ideal for small to mid-sized lawns.
How To Determine The Best Lawn Edger To Buy
When it comes to narrowing the field of lawn edgers, youll want to ask yourself some basic questions.
- How large is your property? Is there a lot of edging that needs to be done?
- How meticulous are you about your landscaping?
- Do you need to edge around curbs or uneven areas?
- Do you use a landscaping service for certain things, or do you do all your landscaping yourself?
For those of you with a large piece of property or a significant amount of edging to do, a gas-powered model is likely best for your needs. Those with smaller yards and less edging will usually find that a battery or electric powered edger will do the trick.
If youre planning on edging your lawn along a curb or other uneven surface, you may want to look into a four-wheeled model, as opposed to a three-wheeled model, or a stick edger. This will provide you with the most stability to get the job done.
If you occasionally or regularly use a landscaping service, you may be able to have them take care of your edging at the beginning of each season with a heavy-duty four-wheeled edger. That way, you can just invest in a stick edger to take care of any overgrowth that develops throughout the season.
Best Lawn Edger: Top 8 Gas Electric + Manual Edgers
Everyone loves a good clean edge along the sidewalks, driveways, and mulch beds. The best way to get this done is by using a good lawn edger be it cordless, corded, electric, battery-powered, gas-powered, or even manual. But how do you know the best lawn edger?
It comes down to personal preference, size of your yard, and whether you have natural grass edges or concrete edges.
Don’t Miss: What Time Of Day Is Best To Water Lawn
Why Do You Need A Lawn Edger
That perfectly-manicured lawn wont edge itself!
In all seriousness, it depends on the type of grass that you have. Creeping grasses like bermuda grass desperately require the use of a lawn edger to prevent spreading. Otherwise, you may find grass climbing over bed edging or even sprawling tendrils out on the sidewalk. This is true of virtually any turf grass and high-traffic grasses. If you spend a lot of time on your lawn, its likely youll want an edger at some point.
In short, a good lawn edger has a metal blade which will more easily bite through thick mats of grass. If you have a dense, thick carpet of a lawn, youre going to want the extra cutting power that a metal blade will give you over a string trimmer.
Are There Any Drawbacks To Gas
While these types of grass edgers do have many advantages, even the best gas lawn edgers have their drawbacks but this is true of any product.
We highly recommend considering a gas trimmer edger, particularly if you have a larger property, but it is worth thinking about these few disadvantages.
- Gas-powered equipment is far less favourable for the environment, especially when it is used frequently. If you are concerned about your carbon footprint, then an electric or battery-powered version may be more suitable for you.
- Compared to their electric counterparts, gas grass edgers can be a lot more expensive. But this is because they are far more powerful and durable, and therefore, cost more to manufacture. Furthermore, since this type of product will last you much longer than an electric model, you could potentially save in the long-run with replacing the product being unlikely.
- Unlike corded models, gas edger tools require quite a lot of maintenance. If you do not have the time or knowledge on how to do this correctly, it may be worth considering a different type of tool.
Recommended Reading: How To Fix Lawn With Lots Of Weeds
Best Gas Weed Eaters For 2021
- Premium performance comes at a premium price.
- The Carburetor may need some adjustment out of the box.
The engine and starter on the Husqvarna gas trimmers are designed to start quickly with minimum effort, thanks to their unique Smart Start function. Their weed eater trimmer also includes an auto-return stop switch.
When the machine is turned off, the stop switch automatically returns to the start position for easier starting. These features make the Husqvarna trimmer ready to go anytime you need to keep your lawn free of unwanted grass and weeds.
Do I Need To Wear Safety Gear With An Edger
As with all garden power tools, its well worth donning some protective gear during operation.
Gas-powered edgers are noisy things, so make sure you cover those ears.
That blade is spinning fast, isnt it? Wear long-sleeved clothing and pants, and goggles over the eyes. You never know when or what debris might be launched violently into the air.
And dont forget a suitable pair of gardening gloves to prevent blistering. Honestly, you wont know what you did without them.
Also Check: How To Repair Grass Lawn
How Deep Can Lawn Edgers Cut
On average, lawn edgers tend to have an average depth of about 2 inches, with some going beyond this. Our top pick, the EGO POWER+ MEO800 Electric Edger, has more of a range and can cut up to three inches deep.;
If youre looking for a lawn edger purely to add to the aesthetic value of your backyard, then you probably dont need to worry about cutting too deep with your tool. But if you are going to be carving out paths and flowerbeds, then consider the edgers with a wider cutting range.
Greenworks 12 Amp Electric Corded Edger 27032
- 7.5-inch double edged serated blade
- Variable blade heights
- Powerful motor for DIY edging projects
- Safety cord-lock mechanism
If youve got a small yard, the corded Greenworks 27032 edger is a great pick for small scale edging jobs. The 12 Amp motor coupled with a 7.5-inch blade is a powerful combination for most DIY landscaping jobs.
The front wheel has a spring assist mechanism, making it easier to maneuver and adjust the blade height while edging along sidewalks, driveways, and mulch beds.
Theres also a cord lock feature on this model which I found to be really important. Some of the best corded lawn edgers and string trimmers dont lock their cords in place, meaning the models power cord can get unplugged easily.
If youre looking for an edger and a string trimmer in one, Id recommend the Greenworks 12-Inch 24V Cordless String Trimmer and Edger that happens to be battery-powered and provides great value in terms of weed whacking and edging.
Read Also: How Much Does It Cost To Have Your Lawn Rolled
Echo 225vp Pas Trimmer And Edger
Up next is this very portable and lightweight gas powered stick edger that allows you to use up to a dozen attachments. This accounts for the PAS in the name which stands for Professional Attachment Series.
Though not as big as the walk behind units in this review, this is the perfect edger if you have a small lawn. The 21.2cc two-stroke engine generates more than adequate power and torque to create perfectly manicured sidewalks while the trimmer attachment easily cuts through grass no matter how tough. And if you are wondering, the trimmer attachment or any of the other attachments can be used without dissembling the edger.
Other features include commercial grade air filters for engine longevity, cushioned throttle and left handle grips for comfort and control, the highest possible EPA engine rating for durability, engine vibration-reduction design to enhance comfort, unique i-30 starting system that reduces the effort it takes to start the engine by about 30%, a metal shield that is resistant to clogging for protecting the edger attachment, and much more.
What Other Features To Consider
Beyond all the important features above, there are a few other features the best lawn edgers have:
- Detachable shaft: Lets you use the same shaft and power source with different heads. For instance, you could use the shaft to power your pole saw or hedge trimmer. This feature is usually present on the cordless models.
- Weight: The weight might not be as important on a walk-behind model as it is on a pole edger. However, it will influence maneuverability. A lighter edger is also more suitable for people suffering from arthritis or other physical conditions.
- Ergonomics: An ergonomic edger should include a telescopic shaft you can adjust to your height, a comfortable handle, great balance, and soft grip.
- Adjustable cutting depth: Just like lawn mowers, lawn edgers can adjust their cut depth to meet your needs. Most models have cutting depths of between 1.75 and 2.5 inches.
- Wheels: You should also decide how many wheels you need. Two-wheel models are great for smaller and fairly flat terrains. Inclines, many obstacles, or big lawns are easier to tackle with three or four wheels.
Read Also: How To Get Lawn Care Accounts
How Much Should I Expect To Pay
How much you should expect to pay for an edger is going to be different based on your individual needs, like the size of your property, how often youll be using your edger, and how versatile youll need your edger to be .
For most people, an edger in the $75-$250 price range will provide all the power, functionality and versatility youll need.
Once youve evaluated what you need from your edger, youll be able to pinpoint the amount you can expect to pay for an edger more accurately.
Craftsman Cmeed400 3 Blade Depth Adjustable Lawn Edger
This 12 Amp Electric Edger has a powerful motor that easily slices through solid turf. Craftsman CMEED400 has three blade-depth settings and an adjustable auxiliary handle, so you can achieve maximum precision and retain complete control, adjusting it to suit your unique bodily postures and positioning. It has a very convenient integrated VersaTrack hook and also VersaTrack system, for your convenience. This makes it so much easier to hang up and store.
Also Check: How To Treat Lawn For Ants
Trimmerplus Tpe720 Dual Lawn Edger Attachment
This gas lawn edging tool is perfect if you dont want to buy a complete gas lawn edger unit; perhaps because you already have power lawn cutting equipment with a tool attachment feature. This budget option from TrimmerPlus is an edger attachment that is compatible with most major brands such as Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Greenworks, Ryobi, etc. It easily attaches to your power tool via the 1-inch diameter tube driveshaft connector instantly transforming your lawn equipment into a lawn edger.
The gasoline powered edger attachment features a 7½-inch double hardened steel blade that effortlessly trims between curbs, landscape beds, and sidewalks to deliver a manicured and clean lawn. To ensure you remain on a steady path for complete control during edging, it is also equipped with large guide wheels.
Nothing is spared to make this unit mimic the complete unit. For instance, for more precise cutting and edging, the blades cutting depth can be adjusted up to 2.5 inches. Simply chose the depth that works best for you and the edger would take over.
Honda Hht35sukat Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer
The Reliable Big-Brand Trimmer
Honda is known for its high-quality, reliable small engines, and this weed eater doesnt disappoint! The easy-to-start GX35 cc 4-stroke engine fires up quickly and provides excellent power while running on straight, unleaded fuel. The specially designed clutch housing has an advanced anti-vibration system to help minimize user fatigue. Equipped with a 17 Kwik Loader two-line head, the Ultra Quiet® line significantly reduces the trimmers noise level.
The handlebar grip offers the user precise control no matter if you use the bump feed trimmer or 10 saw blade. A unique 360-degree inclinable 4-cycle motor allows you to use and store the trimmer in any position.
The Honda HHT35SUKAT is a professional 4-cycle model designed to fit a range of needs, from regular grass trimming to clearing heavy brush. Its renowned Honda technology provides a powerful, dependable piece of equipment that’s well-built, ergonomic, and easy to use.
Engine CyclesMaximum Cutting DiameterFuel Tank Capacity
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Lawn Mower
What Are The Benefits Of A Lawn Edger
Although you may dread the idea of having to edge your lawn every week during the summer months, it does great things for your yard. Using a high-quality edger will make your lawn look perfectly manicured. This boosts your homes curb appeal. Its also a much better environment for you and your family. Having a well-manicured yard is something you should be proud of and doing the job yourself makes it that much more rewarding. Remember, an edger isnt only effective around the perimeter of your lawn. Its great for adding detail around flowerbeds, trees, retaining walls, and swimming pools.
Another huge benefit of investing in a good lawn edger is theyre very easy to use. They tend to require minimal assembly and operating them is a breeze. When shopping around, some may look intimidating, but youll probably find they require no advanced skills to operate. This means anybody in your family can do the edging. In addition, most edgers are relatively safe to use. All you really need is a pair of protective glasses and youll be fine.
Check out our;outdoor and lawn tools page;to learn about other lawn care necessities.;
Radius Garden Ergonomic Stainless Steel Edger
The Radius Garden Edger doesnt make noise, needs no fuel and it makes crisp edges around your sidewalks and landscaping features, so you can get the job done without the hassle of a powered tool.
Heres high praise from one Amazon reviewer who believes this is the best lawn edger: I cant begin to tout the joy I have with this edger! Im not quite 5-ft. tall and in my 60s so I wasnt sure how well this would work for me. Im telling you, this thing is a joy to use!
Don’t Miss: Can You Spray Your Lawn For Ticks
What Lawn Edger Is The Best For Me
Because the range of lawn edgers available on the market is really vast, there are a few questions you should answer to determine which could be the right one for you.
- Where do you live? If in any state where gas power tools are banned, youll have to pick between a corded or cordless tool. The latter is more suitable for larger lawns in this case.
- What is the size of your lawn? If you can opt for any of the three power sources, base your decision on the size of the lawn.
- Do you only need a lawn edger? If you need an edger, chances are you may also need a trencher or string trimmer. If you dont have those tools already, some combo lawn edgers may suit your needs.
Customers Choice: The Best Rated Lawn Edgers
134 users answered this survey. Please help us improve this review!
Investing in a premium lawn edger to control unruly edges is one of the best ways to maintain your yard looking sharp, whether its wide or tiny, minimally landscaped or packed with flowerbeds.
Preserving an evenly trimmed perimeter improves the overall look of the lawn, just as framing a painting does. Its crisp edges denote a well-kept house, particularly when growth along the edges of your flowerbeds, sidewalk, driveway, and walking paths is carefully controlled and groomed.
Clean lines of distinction between the grass and the road, pavement, or garden beds may be achieved with lawn edgers. They often reduce the harm caused by grass spread in these areas. And, most of all, they give your yards boundaries a nice appearance.
Pros of lawn edgers:;
- These tools help to cut the grass near the sidewalks;
- They are simple to use;
- Can help to achieve professionally groomed lawn;
- Helps to control grass growth;
- Good for maintaining flower beds;
- Easy to clean and replace blades;
- Flexible and adjustable for different heights;
With this buying;guide below, you can search for the best lawn edger, according to the;needs of your property. Check out the list of top-favorite picks from the best lawn edger products on the market in the United States.
Read Also: Can You Hydroseed Over An Existing Lawn
Southland Swle0799 79cc Walk Behind Gas Lawn Edger
Use this Southland lawn edger to get professional landscaping look why because the edger is equipped with a 79cc OHV engine which delivers a 3.5 foot pounds of torque. The manual recoil easy start technique will start the edger quickly and easily. We can adjust the triangular three 9 inch blades up to five different depth positions for cutting maximum of about 2.5 inch.;
Also, you can adjust the blade 15 degrees left or right for beveled edging. The adjustable front and rear wheels will provide a curb hopping ability to swiftly slide through the tough and hard edges. It is easy to assemble and runs quietly with its sturdy metal frame and blade guard to protect the edger while operating. It is EPA and CARB certified that leaves your lawn look professional manicured.