How To Level A Grass Lawn
No matter how level your lawn is when you first seed it or put down sod, it probably will develop some uneven spots over time. Ground settling and erosion are two primary causes of an uneven lawn. Its not a difficult task to level grass lawns, but if there is an underlying problem, such as erosion from improper drainage, you should try to fix the problem first. Otherwise, lawn leveling will become a regular occurrence on your to-do list.
What If My Lawn Only Has Small Imperfections
A lovely lawn, with slight blemishes, made smooth by renovation of scarification, aeration, top dressing and over-seeding.
To smooth out and renovate a lawn that just has minor imperfections in the surface can be done by renovation during the autumn. It is usually best to scarify and aerate before top dressing so that the dressing can easily be rubbed into the dips. Top Dressing can be done by a lawn care professional or you can do it yourself. A range of Top Dressing is available, all being a blend of soil, compost, loam or sand, designed in different mixes to boost nutrition and assist in the germination of new seed. This is quite a big subject so please find more information here on how the professionals do it: or alternatively if you are keen to do it yourself a full range of top dressing products can be found here at The Lawn Store:
Dig Organic Matter Into Soil
Use a rototiller to loosen soil to a depth of 6 to 8 inches. Remove any debris you unearth, including rocks. Add and till in 2 to 3 inches of organic matter. Organic matter helps improve soil aeration and water retention and enhances the microbial population in your soil. The bottom line is that organic matter makes your soil healthier. Till in fertilizer or lime based on the results of your soil test.
Also Check: Peat Moss For Growing Grass
Tips For Soil Ph Correction
- Read Label: No matter which product you choose, its important to follow the instructions on the package to the letter, even if you have to buy a special spreader or applicator to get it right. For example, one brand of sulfur may be more finely ground than another, and over application could damage your plants. While your soil test results will provide general guidelines about how much amendment is needed, follow the label on the particular product.
- Proceed Slowly: Make one application of the product, wait at least three months, retest the pH of the soil, and reapply again if needed. It might take a year or more to get your soil on track, and overdosing can cause more harm than good.
- Fall Application: For best results, incorporate pH-correcting amendments in the fall, to give them plenty of time to break down for spring planting. Many gardeners make soil testing and pH-fixing an annual fall ritual.
- Plant Selection: Youll have much better luck if you choose plants well suited to the soil you already have. Its OK to tweak the pH a little to optimize the growing conditions, but your overall soil makeup pretty much is what it is.
Lime is the most popular additive for acidic soils to raise the pH.
Raising The Level Of A Garden Or Lawn By 18 Inches Will Require
- 18 inch high retaining walls will need to be built around the complete area being raised. These can be built using breeze blocks or any material that won’t rot set on a sound footing. Bear in mind you won’t see the retaining wall, just the top, as it will be filled with soil. Strength and durability are more important than looks. For large areas building a bund may be the answer, this page describes how to construct a bund.
- Slope the surface of the frame very slightly toward where you intend the water to drain away. This should not be your neighbours garden or the footings of your house.
- Weep holes for drainage need to be formed every 2 meters and every 1 meter at the lowest end of the slope.
Top tip If you have got good access to the area you are raising leave a gap in the wall wide enough to get a digger and tipper lorry through. It’s a lot easier if you tip the rubble and then the soil directly onto the area being raised. Then finish the wall.
Recommended Reading: How Often To Water Grass In Colorado
Keeping Things Green And Healthy
Regular and proper lawn care goes a very long way in keeping your lawn free of ruts and higher spots. Healthy and thick turfgrass promotes fewer problems and leads to a level lawn. Keep things healthy by:
Fertilizing when necessary.
Overseeding areas where needed to keep the area thick with growth.
Aerating regularly to loosen compacted soil and lessen its lifting. When properly maintained, your turfgrass develops into a healthy specimen able to fend off pest and disease problems and best of all you end up with a level lawn.
The Benefits And Problems Associated With Raising The Surface Of Your Garden Above The Floodplain To Stop Flooding
The benefits of raising a garden
- You garden will be above the floodplain and associated flooding problem.
- You and your kids won’t be walking on a bog.
- Plants will grow again.
The problems associated with raising a garden will be
- The underlying cause will still be there and you could be creating one big bog unless you install a drainage system.
- Depending on how high you intend to raise your lawn or garden, you might need to get permission or at the very least consider the effect on the environment and people around you.
- Where will the flood water flow to ?
- Raising a lawn or the complete garden surface above the flood-plane will almost certainly have an effect on yours and others privacy, you could end up 2 feet higher and your neighbours 2 foot lower.
- Unless you raise the height of boundary fencing or hedging you will be looking down on them and they will be looking up at you.
- A six foot fence erected on the new level will be eight foot high on the neighbours side, probably needing planning permission.
Other important considerations.
- Adding topsoil to permanently saturated soil without first laying a drainage course of clean rubble will create one big bog garden.
- If you want to grow deep rooting plants like potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc. you will need a deep bed of soil.
- Don’t bury manholes.
Recommended Reading: How To Estimate Lawn Mowing Jobs
Sweeping The Dirt Under The Carpet
This technique is so named because you are essentially picking up turf and putting dirt under it. It is suitable only for small sunken areas that are covered with healthy grass.
Why Level A Yard
Leveling your lawn promotes the yards overall appearance while reducing risks of accidents and safety hazards.
A leveled yard ensures proper drainage and distribution of water .
It also will make your lawn easier to mow and enjoy. Mowing a bumpy lawn will result in an uneven mow. Its also frustrating to hold onto your walk-behind or self-propelled mower like its a bucking bronco every weekend.
Over time parts of any lawn can become uneven. This is especially true of older times which havent been leveled or graded in years.
Some common causes of uneven lawns include:
- Original home builder mistakes or careless work
You May Like: How To Kill Wild Violet Weeds In Lawn
Leveling Deeply Sunken Lawn Areas
If you have depressions, troughs, or holes that are deeper than 1 or 2 inches, you’re usually better off filling them with a good soil mix and starting over with new grass seed. Bringing up deeply sunken areas with topdressing takes too many applications, and you’ll spend more time trying to keep the grass alive than you will getting new grass to grow.
The trick to filling deep holes is to compact the soil gently and give it some water to settle it as you fill up the hole. If you simply pile on some loose dirt and plant your seed, the soil will settle, and you’ll be left with sunken area covered with nice, new grass. Walking on the soil is enough to compact it. Don’t compact the top-most soil where you will sow the grass seed. Prepare the soil and seed the area following the seed product instructions.
Filling Low Spots In The Lawn
You can easily make your own lawn patching soil by mixing sand and dry topsoil in equal parts of half-and-half, spreading the leveling mix into low-lying areas of the lawn. Some people also use compost, which is great for enriching the soil. Only add one-half inch of soil mix to the low spots at a time, leaving any existing grass showing through.
After leveling, fertilize lightly and water the lawn thoroughly. You may still notice some low areas in the lawn but its oftentimes best to allow the grass to grow up through the soil for at least a month before repeating the process. After about four to six weeks, another half-inch of the dry topsoil mix can be added to the remaining areas.
Keep in mind that deeper areas of the lawn, which are more than an inch lower than the soil, require a slightly different approach. To fill uneven lawn low spots like these, first remove the grass with a shovel and fill in the depression with soil mix, laying the grass back in place. Water and fertilize thoroughly.
Now that you know how to level a lawn, you do not need to go out and hire an expensive professional. With a little time and effort, you can fill uneven lawn ruts and indentations in no time.
Recommended Reading: How To Kill Wild Violet Weeds In Lawn
Levelling Larger Lumps Or Hollows
For the parts of your lawn that are deeper than 2cm, you will have to adopt a different method to the one described above. Make sure your lawn is moist, but not too wet, before you try this. Youll need a squared off shovel, to cut into the centre and beyond the edges of the area in a cross shape. Keep these cuts as even as possible to make it easier to lift the turf back. Cut into the lawn to a depth of around 4-5cm, then slide the shovel underneath each section of the cross horizontally. Try to keep the shovel flat so that the soil stays even across the section. Peel back the edges of the turf and then either dig out the excess soil or add extra soil depending on the type of unevenness you are tackling. If you are removing soil, make sure to flatten it back down then fold the turf back over. If you are adding soil into a hollow, turn over the soil and remove any large lumps or stones. Compact the soil and then fill it with more topsoil. Rake it once more then fold the turf back over.
Push the turf back down, starting from the outside and working in towards the centre. Fill in any gaps between the cuts with top dressing and you can always add more lawn seed to fill out the lawn. Water the area regularly once this is done to keep it healthy and growing.
How To Lower The Ph In Alkaline Soil
- Sulfur: Plain elemental sulfur is probably the easiest and most common way to make soil more acidic, since its cheap, relatively safe, and can be spread on top of the soil. Since sulfur is pretty slow-acting, you shouldnt apply more than 2 pounds per 100 square feet at a time.
- Sphagnum Peat: This is a great organic solution, since sphagnum peat also adds organic matter to your soil and increases water retention. Simply work a 2 layer of sphagnum peat into your soil at least a foot deep. Larger areas will probably require a tiller.
- Aluminum Sulfate and Iron Sulfate: These two products are very fast-acting, but they can also be the most damaging by adding salts and elements that can build up in the soil. Be sure not to apply more than about 5 pounds per 100 square feet.
- Acidifying Fertilizer: Fertilizers that contain ammonia , urea, or amino acids can, over time, have an acidifying effect on the soil in your yard.
- Mulches and Compost: As organic matter breaks down, it tends to make soil more acidic. Regular use of organic compost and mulches will, over time, bring the soil pH closer to the desired neutral to slightly acidic level. The easiest way to lower your soil pH is just to keep heaping on the rotten stuff. Mother nature sure is smart!
Don’t Miss: How To Rid Lawn Of Clover
Easy Steps To Level Your Garden
Are you looking to even out those slightly low or a tad too high spots in your garden? Gardens have always been a popular part of homes in the United Kingdom.
A well-levelled garden not only adds curb appeal it also minimizes soil erosion and helps to improve drainage. With the right tools and a little of getting your hands dirty, you can level a garden to the envy of your neighbours.
Caution On How To Adjust The Height On A Toro Recycler
This product is so sharp that it can cut off your hands and feet. So be careful to avoid serious injuries. Please read the instructions before starting the engine and follow them accordingly.
- Never place your hands and feet under a moving machine
- Do not operate the device without protective items.
- Keep the elderly and children out of reach. Please do not allow them to perform.
- Only run the engine with trained personnel and instructions.
So be careful using this equipment and mowing your land smoothly.
Don’t Miss: When To Fertilize Lawn In Iowa
Why It Is Essential To Know How To Adjust The Height On A Toro Recycler
You have to know how to adjust the height on a toro recycler on your favorite lawnmower equipment. It is essential to add lawn height for Mower blades. If your module is at a perfect height, it will cut your grass enough, And if not, it will not cut well.
If the height is set low, it can hinder blade growth and make your lawn look bald. When you put the mower blades at the right height, it cuts off the leaf tips and makes the grass look like a new carpet. It is common knowledge to set the height of the mower blade.
The less grass you have, the more time you will have trimmed it again. It is essential to place your blade to save your time and effort. The big problem in Southern California is maintaining grass moisture. So if you cut the grass with a higher blade, it makes root easier and restores lawn health.
Leveling A Moderately Uneven Lawn
If areas of the lawn have more moderate and numerous problems with low areas and higher spots, it will take a bit more work to bring it back in shape. However, it still wont take as much work if having to repair a lawn resembling the cratered landscape of the moon.
Read Also: How To Get Rid Of Anthills On My Lawn
Baking Soda To Raise Soil Ph
This is one of the easiest, cost-effective and fastest ways to increase the alkalinity of your soil. Since you probably already have baking soda at home, you will not have to buy any further soil amendments to raise the pH level. Baking soda provides a rather convenient solution especially if you need a quick fix.
Take a look at this baking soda to see if it suits your needs Baking soda bulk container